Custom Bathroom Renovation Insights & Tips
Maybe you are tired of looking at the drab and dreary cabinets day in and day out. Or, it would help if you got a new bathtub, sink, and vanity so you can sell your house for more money in the future. Whatever the reason, sometimes you need to renovate and remodel your bathroom!
We don’t blame you — everyone spends considerable time in the bathroom.
A bathroom “renovation” is usually interchanged with the term bathroom “remodel.” Renovating a bathroom means a homeowner will work within the space and try to modernise or upgrade the area by adding new fixtures and fittings.
A bathroom “remodel” is all of the characteristics of a renovation, plus adding new features via construction (altering space, flooring, plumbing, electrical, etc.). A remodel is ideal for homeowners needing to overhaul their bathroom space. A project that includes adding more space or changing the wall structure is considered a bathroom remodel.
Learning the basics of how to remodel your bathroom, the average price you will pay, and the steps needed to modernise your space.
Types of Bathrooms
The average bathroom remodelling cost depends on the type of bathroom, its design, and size. Here are some average facts and figures for those who need to renovate their bathroom:
- Guest Bathroom — The average guest bathroom remodel will include new walls, new tile in the tub or shower, new bathroom vanity, new faucets, new lighting, and an upgraded bathtub or shower screens. The average price of a guest bathroom renovation is between $14 and $20K, based on size.
- Master bathroom — A master bathroom remodel will usually cost more than the guest bathroom, as it has more features and space than the guest bathroom. The master bathroom renovation will include new lighting, wall realignment, floor tile, new cabinets, new faucets, and a soaking tub or modern shower. The average price of a luxurious renovation may cost $30K+.
- Powder room — The powder room is a small guest bathroom usually included on a separate floor, making it easy for guests to use the toilet. This renovation will consist of a new faucet, new vanity, new floor tiles, and new walls. The price of a powder room bathroom renovation is between $5K and $10K based on the extent of the remodel.
There are a few ways that homeowners can calculate the overall pricing of their bathroom renovations & construction plumbing cost – from mid-range to high range.
Bathroom Renovation Price By Materials
Another way that homeowners can figure out how much they might pay based on the remodel is due to the materials used. Some materials are more expensive than others, whereas other materials are cheaper and less durable. Check out some of the most commonly used materials to see which one will work best for your remodel:
- Bathroom fan — $50 to $320
- Countertop — $100 to $250
- Tap — $200 to $1,500
- Shower —- $300 to $3,500
- Vanity — $300 to $3,500
- Entry door — $200 to $2,000
- Lights — $100 to $400
As you can see, replacing the lights and the bathroom fan are some of the least expensive fixes, whereas a new faucet can reach upwards of $1,500. Use a professional like Bayside Plumbing to ensure these materials are installed correctly!
Bathroom Renovation Price By Square Foot
Another method that homeowners can use to determine how much they might spend on their remodelled bathroom is the size. As you might expect, a more oversized bathroom can cost more for a remodel.
- 15 square feet — $1,500 to $2,500
- 32 square feet — $3,200 to $5,000
- 45 square feet — $4,500 to $7,000
- 90+ square feet — $9,000 to $14,000
Bathroom Renovation Price By Location
Certain cities and regions with higher-priced homes will also have more expensive bathroom renovations.
- Perth — $7,000 to $19,000
- Sydney — $12,000 to $25,000
- Melbourne — $11,000 to $25,000
- Brisbane — $6,000 to $15,000
- Adelaide — $5,500 to $13,000
Living in Sydney or Melbourne has a higher cost of living than in other cities, so it makes sense that a bathroom remodel will cost more money. Just like in these cities, the cost of a bathroom renovation in Australia will also be higher. But the extra money will go towards a great job!
See our valuable guide on how to keep your bathroom renovation under $10000!
Trades - High Quality & Complete Bathroom Renovations
Some facts and features can affect how much you will spend on your bathroom renovation cost. Understanding the basics can help you make an intelligent decision when it comes to the timeline of the remodel, the material you choose, and the amenities you decide to add:
- Bathtubs – Installing a freestanding bathtub will cost more than a bath shower/bathroom combination.
- Countertops — Durable, stylish, and good-quality material (like stone) will lead to a higher bathroom renovation cost than prefabricated countertops.
- Toilets — A modern and innovative toilet will cost more than an outdated toilet.
- Wall tile — The wall tile can affect the price, with ceramic and porcelain usually the leading choices for those who want to keep fees as low as possible.
- Sink — A designer sink or an architecturally-interesting sink will cost more than a drop-in sink.
- Taps — The type of tap plumbing (ex: ball faucet or ceramic faucet) can influence the total price of the remodel.
- Vanities — The size, style, and material of the wall-hung vanity will affect the overall cost.
- Other features — Installing other unique features, like a steam unit, towel bar, or intricate lighting, can increase the price of the renovation.
- Plumbing and Electrics — The more you need to do, the higher the bathroom renovation cost will be.
- Permits — Some homeowners may need to purchase additional licenses based on their housing location and neighbourhood.
- Water damage — If there is water damage in the house, this can lead to higher repair costs.
How to Find the Best Bathroom Renovation Professionals
The Bathroom Makeovers & Renovation Costs Involved
Homeowners can find the best professional to help them with their renovation by comparing prices to others in the industry.
If you decide to do the majority of work by yourself, this will cost less money. However, if you need to hire every professional — like a contractor, plumber, electrician, and designer — it can increase the labour price by thousands of dollars per day.
- General contractor — $300 to $500 per day
- Plumber — $1,000 to $3,000 for the entire job
- Electrician — $50 to $120 per hour
- Interior designer — $150 to $450 per hour
As you can see, understanding the factors that influence the price of bathroom renovations can help homeowners prepare for the necessary fixes. Don’t take a chance on doing this renovation yourself (big or small bathroom renovation) — use Bayside Plumbing to do all the hard work! Contact us & organise a free quote for your bathroom renovation plumbing, emergency plumbing repair, and all plumbing services!
For more valuable plumbing insights and practical plumbing tips, see our plumbing blog! We tackle common plumbing questions like ‘How Much Does A Kitchen Renovation Cost In Australia?‘, ‘How To Get Rid Of Smelly Bathroom Drains‘ & more!